Is this the end of Backpage.com?
NEW YORK, NEW YORK: According to Goldman Sach’s themselves they’ve reportedly decided to terminate their relationship with Village Voice media by selling more than 16% of their shares inside the company due to the alleged sex trafficking happening behind the scenes of their classified ads website.
In recent weeks, Backpage.com was accused of overlooking a young woman (who remains (unidentified) after she claimed that their website was responsible for her having been sold for sexual intercourse in her early teen years (16 years old).
Village voice reps denied to comment, however it appears that their infamous classified ads system is now crumbling according to the Mail Online. The Mail Online reports that the shares sold were no where near as much as it was re-bought for by another private firm.
No word if backpage.com will just close it’s doors forever and not come back online.
- Petition to Ban Human Trafficking on Backpage.com (thesummitaht.wordpress.com)
- Sign this petition: Stop advertising sex trafficking of young girls & boys on backpage.com (haleybehre.wordpress.com)
- I am NOT Alissa … Alissa via Change.org (point4counterpoint.wordpress.com)
- Nineteen Senators Write Letter to Village Voice Media Telling Them to Stop Partaking in Human Trafficking (haleybehre.wordpress.com)
- Protesters: Village Voice, Stop Child Sex Ads on ‘Backpage’ (mashable.com)