Tyra Banks: ‘I was too fat at 17 to be a model in 2012′
In wake of VOGUE’s ban on underage and ‘too thin’ models Tyra Banks has come out in applause saying that move alone is a reason to be ‘smizing’. The legendary supermodel says that when she was modeling at 17, an average size was four to six, and these-days everybody is expected to be a thin zero.
“The truth is that if I was just starting to model at age 17 in 2012, I could not have had the career that I did. I would’ve been considered too heavy,” Banks explains. “In my time, the average model’s size was a four or six. Today you are expected to be a size zero. When I started out, I didn’t know such a size even existed.”
- Tyra Banks Says She’d Never Make It As A Model By Today’s Weight Standards (glamour.com)
- The return of Tyra Banks! (bazaardaily.com)
- Tyra Banks’s Open Letter to Models (thedailybeast.com)
- No Smize Left Behind: Tyra Banks At The Moth Ball (crunktastical.net)
- Tyra Banks says her 17-year-old size four frame would be considered too heavy for runways today (dailymail.co.uk)