Scandal: Coach canned over taking student to senior prom
According to reports, Melissa Bowerman an in-law of Nike Co-Founder Bill Bowerman was dismissed this week from her volunteer coaching job in Oregon after school administrators reportedly discovered that Bowerman escorted a seventeen year old student to the school’s prom.
The twist? Administration decided to relieve Bowerman of her duties because she ‘violated school rules’ by taking an underage student to the function, however according to numerous other reports Bowerman allegedly had approval from the boys father, her husband, and the boy himself.
Bowerman made an agreement with the student to escort him to the prom as long as he did better in his English class, or he wouldn’t be able to participate any longer on the schools track team.
The firing of Melissa Bowerman hasn’t really been handled ethically either, according to Joe Bowerman (her husband) she was informed this week that even though the school is preparing to board a bus for track meets she herself has been barred from boarding the bus.
Sound off! What do you think of this situation? Do you think even having permission from multiple parties that she was right in escorting the student to his prom?
- Coach Melissa Bowerman Fired After Taking Student To Prom (inquisitr.com)
- Melissa Bowerman loses coaching job (msn.foxsports.com)
- Coach Melissa Bowerman Takes Student to Prom, Gets Fired (blippitt.com)
- Track coach loses job after escorting student to prom (foxnews.com)
- Ore. track coach takes student to prom, loses job (onlineathens.com)