Microsoft secures ‘Xbox 8′
Gamers-unite, well sort of. Just a short two months after a cyber squatter reportedly sought to purchase domains with the original Xbox, [XboxTablet], and [XBoxLive] inside its name — Microsoft announced that they had won the court battle against the unnamed squatter which has led to spiraling speculation that the tech company may in fact be concocting what tech-sites have now dubbed ‘Xbox 8′.
Microsoft hasn’t directly responded to reports suggesting that they’ve quashed the ‘Xbox 720′ which was confirmed to almost-exist last year after a 52 page document leaked online detailing plans for such a gaming console.
“It’s tempting to suspect Microsoft is eyeing ‘Xbox 8′ as the next console name due to the two domains that reference it; however, Microsoft already began integrating Xbox Live, and the ‘Xbox’ name, into all its consumer products, including Windows 8. Also, it would be really weird if a domain squatter guessed the name.”
- Microsoft obtains ‘Xbox 8′ domain names (joystiq.com)
- Microsoft Snags Domain Name For ‘Xbox 8′ [Xbox] (kotaku.com)
- Domain drain: Microsoft secures “Xbox 8″ rights (vg247.com)
- Microsoft secures ‘Xbox 8′ name (cnn.com)
- Microsoft starts picking up Xbox 8 domain names (geek.com)