2012 Back-to-School Basics: 6 Must-Have Jackets
2012 BACK-TO-SCHOOL BASICS: 6 MUST-HAVE JACKETS
Summer’s almost over. Everybody is probably grabbing their last chances for a last bit of summer but for most of us fashionistas, this only means one thing – shopping! As the year 2012 unfolds itself, color is surely making waves in the fall fashion trends and I wouldn’t be surprised why. Adding a pop of color to your outfit definitely makes a statement – a fashionable and personal statement, after all style is personal. I’d like to keep in mind that fashion is fore mostly what makes the wearer comfortable. There are a lot of trends just for this fall that it’d be too exciting to digest all in all. But just like in school, covering the basics are important.
The jacket used to be just for its practical use but nowadays, not only does the jacket provide us warmth it also stylizes our outfits. Now before you hit the books here are the important back-to-school trends for that basic essential you wouldn’t want to go shopping without.
- Puffed-shoulder: Despite making its break in the ‘80s this vintage piece will be a hot commodity pretty soon! Pair this with some of favorite items in your wardrobe, like those awesome skinnies and lovely booties. Denim puffed-shoulder jackets paired with a lovely white tank top and high heels or even those classic sneakers are ideas you can rock with this vintage vibe.
- Bomber: Seeing rain outside on a school day? Fret not! These jackets designed to be weather resistant and lightweight is the solution. A rainy day doesn’t have to ruin your style. This is also a great addition to your wardrobe because of its versatility. Pair it with dark-wash boot-cut jeans, a pair of funky earrings and you’re all set!
- Long blazer: Want to go for that university chic look? These menswear-inspired blazers look amazing with a tank top, denim shorts and a mod mini! If you have this favorite summer dress that you’d still love to wear, go ahead! Throw along tights and you’re all set. Remember, the long blazer should just hit above the hemline of your dress or shorts, or else it would look too over-sized. Now, for the lads who want to go for that hot geeky look, try pairing this with a hunky tee or a solid-colored polo and some classic semi-casual footwear. You could also try pegged pants with a low neckline top. Don’t forget, you can try rolling up the sleeves to achieve that semi-casual look.
- Leather: The classic piece that has always been coveted by lads and lades alike! For the ladies, you can create an edgy feminine look if you pair a cropped leather jacket with a floral dress. Don’t be afraid to pair this out with colors, you’ll be a ray of sunshine this season. Remember to look closely to detail – zippers, faux-fur and studs (my personal fave) are most welcome! For the lads, leather jackets give off that rebel, hunky feel. Try to pairing it with Doc Martens or any rugged-inspired footwear and a v-neck tee or a grey tank.
- Military: Military-inspired jackets graced the catwalks of Fall Fashion. Not only are they classic but also edgy at the same time! This is an important must-have in your closet. Ladies, you can pair a cropped one with a yellow or mustard colored top and black booties. Try wearing a runway-inspired look from Burberry Prorsum and pair an embellished jacket with a mustard-colored knee length dress, black stockings and killer heels.
- University: Nothings screams more back-to-school than wearing your own school jacket. Take the above tips and recreate your own school-inspired ensemble! For people living in the tropics, a university jacket paired with low neckline tee, cut-off shorts and rugged sneakers scream the rebel student. For the ladies with four seasons, pairing your university jacket with a simple tank top, skinny jeans and funky jewelry will surely make you stand out. Lads, you might be thinking school jock look? But if you can go more than just that look by pairing it off with a similar colored shirt, fit pegged jeans and sneakers that match.
Keep in mind these reminders and don’t forget to just be creative. Being trendy is one thing and being creative with the trends is another exciting prospect that you can do every day with what you wear. Do you have any ingenious outfit ideas that you want to share?
Ferina Santos is a feisty nerd at heart with an obsession for media and vanity. She captures all her random musings with daily photographs in her blog, A Pink Banana. She spends her free time reading, riding her horses, imagining she’s a Khaleesi. Ferina loves to hear what you have to say, drop her a line on Twitter.