Pastor refuses to marry couple — because they’re black
MISSISSIPPI: In a strange twist to the usual news surrounding churches in the United States, a new bizarre case of ‘racism’ out of Mississippi currently continues to make headlines due to the awkwardness of the situation.
According to Yahoo News, First Baptist Church in Springfield, Mississippi apparently felt that because Charles & Te’Andrea Wilson were African American; they were not allowed to be married inside of their church.
The Wilson’s spoke to local news stations following the bizarre incident telling reporters that they were blatantly told by Pastor Stan Weatherford that he would not conduct a ceremony to marry the couple at his church, because he feared that he’d lose his job as a pastor because they were black.
The situation reportedly turned even worse after additional members of his church threatened to remove him from his pastor ship if he were to actually marry the couple, unfortunately he chose not to due to a characteristic they were unable to change.
- Hymns & finding my way back ‘home’ (writelivegrow.com)
- Pastor: $40,000 stolen from First Baptist Orlando (miamiherald.com)
- Southern Baptist pastors react to first black leader (charlotte.news14.com)
- Truth and Culture (mainthings.wordpress.com)
- Australian Pastor Criticized for Posting ‘Adam and Steve’ Marriage Message at Church By Stoyan Zaimov (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- Catawba pastor’s anti-gay sermon spurs protest (newsobserver.com)