Fencing controversy causes Korean star to lose medal
With only seconds left to spare in the women’s epee contest, many thought Shin A Lam would lead the country to victory for the first time in that specific category — however they were wrong.
Just seconds as the match was preparing to end, Shin A Lam lost to another sportswoman which later resulted in Shin and her coaches filing an appeal that later went as far as to cost her her place on the podium.
The controversy? The lack of time, and the timer allegedly having gotten stuck during the match providing an extra few seconds for Shin’s opponent to strike an attack scoring one last touch that put her in the lead to face off with the Ukraine’s Yana Shemyakina later in the games.
Y! has an interesting bout of the situation.
- London 2012 Guide to…Fencing (totally2012.wordpress.com)
- London 2012 Olympics: GB archery men’s team bow out (standard.co.uk)
- You: Ebinuma judo quarterfinal ends in controversy (japantimes.co.jp)
- July 28 – 12 Gold medals at stake (sportschakra.wordpress.com)
- f(x)’s Victoria earns a gold medal in Fencing at the ‘Idol Olympics’ (allkpop.com)
- Day 2 London Olympic Games roundup (fox11online.com)