White House: Peru now worlds biggest cocaine distributor
According to an annual report released by the White House, the country of Peru is now the worlds biggest cocaine distributor just ahead of Bolivia and Colombia with a whopping 396 U.S tons every year.
The report, released by the office of Drug Administration shows that Colombia’s distribution levels declined by 1% over the past year which officials have called ‘historic’ due to ‘strategic pressure’ in the territory to crack down on drug cartels.
The security threat that the United States and Colombia faced in 1999 is gone,” Kerlikowske said. “We don’t just have a safe Colombia, we have a vibrant Colombia that is an active partner in helping with the drug and criminal issue in the region.” U.S Drug Police Office
- Colombian coca and cocaine production shows little change (channel6newsonline.com)
- Emerging Markets Report: Peru, Colombia consumers draw investor interest (marketwatch.com)
- U.N.: Colombian coca and cocaine production shows little change (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- More Drug War Failures in Latin America (nationalinterest.org)
- Colombia coca crops on rise for first time in 5 years (miamiherald.com)
- Venezuela Is Cocaine Hub Despite Its Claims (nytimes.com)