Misty May-Treanor walks away from beach volleyball following third consecutive win
LONDON, ENGLAND: Just minutes after she and teammate Kerri Walsh-Jennings won their consecutive win in beach volleyball at the 2012 London Olympics, Misty May-Treanor announced that she is walking away from the sport for good to focus on being a mum.
“Beach volleyball is not going to be my career anymore,” May-Traenor told reporters shortly after the match. “It’s time for me to be a wife. I want to be a mom. I want to share this time with my family.
All of us athletes sacrifice more of the family than people maybe realize. It’s getting back to that. My mind says it’s time, my body says it’s time. It’s the right time. It’s time for me now to help the next generation.”
- You: Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Win Gold Medal in Beach Volleyball Final (bleacherreport.com)
- Olympics: Kerri Walsh Jennings and Misty May-Treanor advance into beach volleyball gold-medal match (mercurynews.com)
- May-Treanor, Walsh win beach gold (cbsnews.com)
- Walsh, May-Treanor win third gold in style – USA TODAY (usatoday.com)
- Beach Volleyball Final: Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Threepeat as Gold Medalists (eonline.com)
- Misty May-Treanor, Kerri Walsh Win Third Straight Beach Volleyball Gold (sbnation.com)