America’s longest serving female inmate in history [Freed]
NEWSER notes that Jan Brewer granted Betty Smithey clemency in the 1963 murder of a 15 month old child she was involved in, after nearly 49 years behind bars.
Brewer claimed in a press conference that Smithey was no longer a threat to society, and Arizona’s Board of Executives seemed to have agreed.
- America’s Longest-Serving Female Inmate Freed (newser.com)
- USA’s longest-serving female inmate freed after 49 years (usatoday.com)
- Betty Smithey: America’s longest-serving female inmate freed after 49 years (dailymail.co.uk)
- Longest-serving female inmate freed after 49 years (whptv.com)
- Longest-Serving Female Inmate in U.S. Surprisingly Released After 49 Years [Crime] (jezebel.com)