Texas roadway to have 85mph speed limit
AUSTIN, TEXAS: The Texas Transportation Commission announced yesterday that the state has approved an 85mph speed limit along Texas state highway 130 which stretches 41 miles between Austin and San Antonio, Texas respectively.
The new speed limit is now the highest among any one U.S state, literally. The Insurance Institute has already come out swinging against the new speed limit, citing that higher speeds make it more dangerous for motorists on the road.
“There are limits to the amount of crash energy that can be managed by vehicles, restraint systems and roadway hardware such as barriers and crash cushions. The higher the speed, the higher the likelihood that these limits will be exceeded in crashes, limiting the protection available for vehicle occupants,” according to the institute’s website.
- Why Texas’ Insanely Fast 85 MPH Speed Limit Isn’t A Big Deal (jalopnik.com)
- Report: Texas toll road approved for 85-MPH speed limit (autoblog.com)
- 85 mph! Texas to open fastest highway in US (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- 85 mph Speed Limit? Don’t Book a Trip to Texas Just Yet (motortrend.com)
- 85 mph! Texas to open toll highway with fastest speed limit in nation (usnews.nbcnews.com)