Scientists face some jail time over earthuake
MILAN, ITALY: Scientists worldwide were shocked when six Italian scientists who were convicted of manslaughter after failing to correctly predict and decide a verdict on the La’Aquila earthquake.
“The situation created by the sentencing yesterday on the facts from L’Aquila is incompatible with a clear and effective performance of the functions of the commission and its role as a consulting bodies for the state,” Maiani said in a statement released by the agency.
- Italian scientists jailed for failing to warn of deadly earthquake (guardian.co.uk)
- Italian scientists sentenced to jail in quake trial (terradaily.com)
- Italian Quake Sentence to Have Chilling Effect, Scientists Say – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Italy disaster experts quit, upset by quake trial (foxnews.com)
- Italian scientist convicted over L’Aquila earthquake condemns ‘medieval’ court (guardian.co.uk)
- Scientists convicted for not warning about quake (cbsnews.com)