Illinois golfer swallowed by earth
Just when you thought Florida was the only state with the sinkhole problem, Illinois joins that coveted list. One man was apparently playing golf, when he discovered that a sinkhole had opened below him — and boom, he fell into it.
I was standing in the middle of the fairway,” he tells the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “Then, all of a sudden, before I knew it, I was underground.”
It took less than 20 minutes to get the man out of the hole, only due in part to the golf course’s manager climbing down the hole itself — tying a rope around the man’s waist, and pulling him back up. Partly, because he had dislocated his shoulder during the fall.
- Golfer OK after sinkhole scare on Illinois course (espn.go.com)
- Mo. golfer survives mid-round Illinois sinkhole (sfgate.com)
- Mo. golfer survives mid-round Illinois sinkhole (news.yahoo.com)
- Golfer survives after sinkhole opens up on course (foxnews.com)
- Another Man Swallowed By A Sinkhole, This Time On A Golf Course In Illinois (businessinsider.com)
- Fairway sinkhole swallows golfer at Annbriar (stltoday.com)