You might have seen artificial topiary plants in one or more of their various forms, including Ivy, spiral, boxwood, and cone. These artificial topiary embellishments make properties achieve the classic, elegant look without the hassle associated with real plants.
These days, it is possible to make the artificial topiary look as attractive as the real ones, if not more, since the foliage is constructed to look more and more life-like.
Manufactured topiary trees will help the outside of your home look magnificent and great minus the effort that would go into maintaining the real trees.
What you need to think about when using manufactured topiary plants is how to pick the right ones that match with the rest of the design scheme. You will also have to find the right location for them so that your fake topiary tree mixeswell with your outside.
Here are some tips to help you make the right choices when choosing an artificial topiary:
- Focus on what you will need. The main thing you should know is what would you like to change outside your house. Pick a part of the backyard or your garden that you want to match with your style. That is where the manufactured topiary tree needs to go.
- The next thing you need to decide once you have decided on the location is the shape of the fake topiary tree that you will be buying. In order to get the shape right, look at the shapes that are already within the patio nursery. If you find a common theme running through the nursery, then it is better to get a tree with a similar-shaped topiary.
If there is no style, then you will simply have to make your own style. Grab a piece of paper and a pen and start drawing. Draw what you think will fit best in your nursery and then get the trees.
- The same goes for the shape of the topiary trees and plants. If there is a common theme in your nursery or garden, then the tree topiaries should be shaped like it. If not, then decide the shape that you want in your garden. It will all depend on what you are looking for.
Care & Maintenance of your Topiary Trees
Artificial topiaries might not require watering and feeding like the real ones do. However, that doesn’t mean that you won’t have to take proper care of them!
If you want to keep them looking fresh and new, then you will have to make an effort. For instance, during the winter, it is best if you place the topiary undercover. This is even more necessary for people who live in areas that see harsh winters.
You will also have to protect your topiary from debris and dirt that accumulates on it with passing time. The same goes for the rain spots that are left behind on foliage after a shower.In order to clean the topiaries, here is what you need to do:
- Spray the topiary with the outdoor garden hose. Adjust the spray to a gentle rinse speed and use mild soap only if necessary.
- If your topiary has been planted inside the home, then you won’t be able to hose it down. Then you might have to use a cottonduster to manually clean the leaves or branches.
Storing your topiaries can also be done with the help of following steps:
- Do not store dirty topiary but clean it using the guidelines given above.
- Don’t store the topiary right next to a gas furnace or other sources of heat or cold.
- Cover the tree with a plastic covering to keep it safe from dust etc until it needs to be taken out and used again.